Friday, April 17, 2009

My Mother Taught Me

I wanted to post this because I want to show off what my mother taught me long ago.

I don't sew often, and I'm not very good at it, but I absolutely love that I know how to do it when the occasion arises. One such occasion came up when my friend invited me to an anime convention down in St George. We get a little crazy when we're around each other and both decided to dress up, finalizing our plans the morning before leaving. That gave us a little less than 24 hours to put together our outfits.

I decided to go as Katara, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
(This is just someone's picture of her, but it's the best one I could find with the costume I copied):


I'm actually very proud of what I was able to accomplish since I also had to work that day. I went to the DI after work and picked up a blue dress, boots, a white long sleeve shirt and a blue long sleeve shirt.

After 5 hours of sewing (and an all nighter), I came up with this:



Like I said, I was pretty proud. I used my old scrubs for the pants and didn't end up using the blue shirt (I was going to make gloves out of it). I didn't really measure much since I was in a huge hurry, and the neck was a little more open than I meant it to be. In the end, though, I just needed to wear a tank top underneath and it was fine.

I don't have pictures of myself in the costume, but I thought I would share this before I re-donated everything.

I love my mother and I'm so glad she took the time to teach me such a useful skill and she always makes sure my sewing machine is working properly.

6 comments:

Karen said...

You better keep the costume for Halloween or something. You never know. Good job on the "being resourceful" thing!!

I am also glad that I learned how to sew - all though it's not much. I patched my kids jeans just yesterday. And Jeremy has some work pants that need some help.

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

Awesome job Cyndi!!

Anne said...

I'm impressed! Good job. I don't think I could do anything like that. I can't even keep buttons sewn on my family's clothes!

Ben Stair said...

Sewing is a mysterious and powerful skill. The dress looks really good. Good Job.

Edie Veronin said...

I am so proud of you that I cried! You are my only daughter that sews!

Jessica said...

Lies, I sew. And you can only REALLY be proud of her when she starts french braiding.