Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pregnancy Blues

This last weekend, Jeff and I attended a prenatal class at Timp Hospital. We both found it very disturbing, but educational. We learned about all the "fun" yet to come with hours of labor pains, keeping track of contractions, giving birth, tearing, breast feeding, preterm labor, C-sections... the list goes on and on. Our class was taught by a doula (a birthing coach) who was made it very clear that she preferred natural births. I was still on the fence about an epidural, so I learned a lot of decent ways to deal with the pain until it's time to push. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get drugged, though. I understand the first time is generally the longest labor and the most painful.
The best thing I walked away from that class with was knowing that once regular contractions start, it's going to be a while (hours) before I actually have a baby. So there's no need to panic and there's time for Jeff to get home and drive me to the hospital. Even if my water breaks, which apparently only happens before contractions about 10% of the time, we still have plenty of time for Jeff to run home. It is nice that he only works 20 minutes away and the hospital is just 10 minutes from the house. Plenty of time.

Mike seems to be doing well. He's getting bigger and running out of room. I'm okay with that because it means his kicks have less momentum behind them. Now his movements have a smoother, rolling motion as opposed to the sharp jabs I would feel before. It's kind of fun now watching my stomach lump around. As my mother-in-law says, "Like a cat in a gunnysack".
The boy is also very comfortable leaning against my bladder, so I go to the bathroom. A lot. Mostly at night. I don't know why he loves my bladder at night, but when he's not rolling around he's putting pressure on it. Last night I really did wake up every 2 hours to pee. I was a little miffed, but I do need to learn to function with that kind of schedule.

The pregnancy hadn't been too awful on my emotions... until recently. Starting about 2 weeks ago, I have found myself letting what I call "the crazy" leak out. I'll get upset or angry and start crying over absolutely nothing. The sad thing is that it's so frustrating that I'll get angry with myself for crying which makes me sob even harder.
Last night at dinner I started to cry because I wasn't in the mood for what I had made. It was leek and potato soup and I had worked hard preparing it. Jeff was so sweet and tried suggesting things that I could eat instead, ranging from canned goods to him cooking something to him running out and grabbing something. I ended up just having a yogurt and toast while Jeff took care of my bowl of soup.

Also, I've been experiencing the joys of hot flashes. I even had one in the grocery store in the ice cream aisle. That takes some effort. Thank you, Michael and body. I wonder how nice it would be to have a cold flash? Then I could comfortably crawl under the two blankets on my bed and cuddle up next to my husband instead of kicking everything as far away from me as I can get it.
It's okay. We only have 2 months left before the baby is out and I can sleep however I want (when I get the chance). I'm going to lie on my stomach just because I can.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Don't get an epidural! http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com

donna said...

Cyndi, get the book, the Bradley Method of child birth. It has the best information on the signposts of labor. It was a lifesaver for me! Beware the pictures in the back, however. Even if you do use an epidural, it is a great book. It might be hard to find, but worth it. If you want to hear all my reasons why it's best not to have an epidural (I've done it both ways) give me a call.

Cyndi Day said...

I think I will be calling you, Donna. I am still very interested in people's opinions on epidurals vs unmedicated. I really don't like pain, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you are hilarious! That's all! :)

Anne said...

I had no problems with my epidurals and for me, it was something that made the whole birth experience better. I was nicer to everyone. I was dialated to an 8 with Sarah before they finally gave me an epidural...and they only did because I was very insistant. As they predicted, Sarah was born before the drug started working. So, I guess I know what it's like both ways. The time without the epidural gave me a new definiton to "labor". It was really, really hard! I was soaked with persperation and I remember looking down at my legs and watching them shaking. But, that is just my experience. There are alot of people out there who don't like epidurals. They definately have risks, as you have to sign papers before agreeing to it. Research it and find out what is best for you.

Good luck with the crying. I cry more now than I ever did before I had kids.

Karen said...

Cyndi! I have the Bradley book, and will gladly give it to you, as I am done with it. Yes, beware of the pictures. Some crazy people think they have to be completely undressed to have a baby (and then take pictures of it and put it in a book). I agree with Donna, it has alot of great information regardless of which way you decide to go. You know how I did it.

Hang in there. come over and hang out! I mean, we have loads of fun here. (I often cry in the afternoons as well) :)

Yes, and I totally remember after having Zach, that I slept on my stomach in the hospital, and it was awesome.

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

You're getting so close!!!

Jenn said...

Cyndi- hang in there, you're amost done!
I'm VERY into Natural Childbirth and I'm going to jump on the anti-epidural bandwagon. While I have no problem with people getting epidurals, I just think it should be the Plan B option. If you have to get induced with pitocin (which happens in Utah WAY more than needed) then by all means, get an epidural- that stuff is intense. If you've labored for 20 hours and need a break so you can regroup and push a baby out, then get an epidural.
But don't go in there thinking you can't handle the pain, because you CAN, and an epidural adds unnecessary risks to a process our bodies were designed to do (having the epidural not work and not knowing how to cope, or having it work and having a dropped blood pressure, lower fetal heart rates, lower APGARS, more likely to tear (you can't feel what you are doing so you go faster than needed and can't listen to your bodies signals), epidural headaches that last weeks- that happened to a good friend of mine a few months ago- and stalled labor, which leads to pitocin, which leads to more pain, which leads to more stalled labor... which leads to an emergency c-section). I can go on for days about why a mommy should go in with a positive attitude and a game plan for coping with the pain, then she can get an epidural if the situation warrants it, fully educated on the risks.
I'm a pain wimp and I did it without an epidural, with a baby facing the wrong way and everything (back labor)! My only regret about my labor was feeling rushed (hospitals do that) and letting them shoot an anesthetic down there as I was pushing- sure enough, I pushed myself a horrible tear.

If you are interested in stuff to help with a natural childbirth, shoot me an email, I'd be happy to mail you my books I don't need anymore. Natural Childbirth is a huge passion of mine.

PS That business of being born website and move are AWESOME!

Ben Stair said...

So funny about the hot flashes. Hugs!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.