Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah

Michael has finally discovered why mommy spends so much time in the kitchen. It has cupboards! They open and close and hold secret things Michael isn't allowed to touch. What could be better than playing with these magical doors with shiny knobs?

In all seriousness, I'm surprised it took Michael so long to discover cupboards. Not that I'm complaining. I've had the kitchen to myself for 10 months. Now it's only a matter of time before he gets tired of slamming them and decides to empty them. I guess it's time for more babyproofing and maybe even reorganizing the kitchen. I do have a gate I can use to keep him out, but I usually just close it if I'm dealing with raw meat. He's not too much trouble... yet.


Plus, he's so dang cute to watch.

Playing with cupboards is second only to playing with the dishwasher. If I unload the sharp knives quickly, Michael gets free reign with the silverware, which he then drags all over the kitchen. Since I've got a boy crawling everywhere, I'm keeping my kitchen cleaner and I can usually just rinse them and put them back in the dishwasher (yes, I could put them away, but then what would Michael play with?).



Yesterday, Michael and I were eating pasta, when Michael seemed to get upset that his hands were so dirty. At least, that's what I got from him staring at his hands and whining. I cleaned them, and gave Michael a fork to show him how he could eat and keep his hands clean.
In truth, I thought he'd just bang it around and entertain himself while I finished eating. It's still a win for me. Instead, he immediately grabbed the fork and shoved it in his mouth, only to be disappointed that there was no food on it. I spent the rest of that meal spearing pasta for the boy, while he fed himself. It was really fun to watch.


Here's a quick video:


Later on, he wanted to do the same thing with his spoon and baby food. It didn't work out quite as well, but it's so much fun that he wants to do it himself.


Such a happy, clever boy!


5 comments:

Kaylee Steiner said...

I must say, I'm VERY impressed that he can use that fork so well! Cyndi, you're such a cute mom! I sure do look up to you. But what a cute baby too!!! :)

Anne said...

Kitchens are playgrounds for toddlers! All my kids loved the playing with the dishwasher and items in it. They are not so fond of it now, however.

Edie Veronin said...

What a prodigy, to be able to use a fork at such an early age! and you can put rubber bands around your cabinet door handles if you don't want Michael to get what's in them. He will still be able to bang the doors a little, but not break your stuff.

Ellen said...

Such an adorable boy getting in those cupboards!

Karen said...

Those pictures are so cute!