Sunday, December 15, 2013

'Tis the Season

'Tis the season for snow in our backyard and snow shoveling:






'Tis also the season for getting really cold after tossing snow onto yourself:


'Tis the season for a homemade advent calendar so Michael will stop asking mommy, "What time is it, Cyndi?" "It's not Christmas yet, Michael."  Now I can ask him, "How many days do we have left?"  (It's just plastic cups with tissue paper glued on and treats- mostly animal crackers inside.  Michael can pop them with his finger and loves keeping track of how close to Christmas we are.):



And, of course, the same day I make mine while Michael is at school, they come home with this cute project- an advent calendar where you glue a cotton ball on Santa's beard every day.  Thanks for being as late as I was with this, school:


'Tis the season for going through our Christmas box and finding weird decorations and gifts and letting Michael play with them:


'Tis also the season for putting up the tree and letting Michael "help" (it took 2 and a half hours):


He loves Jeff's blue car ornament from 1987:


'Tis the season for illnesses.  Thankfully, Michael is a cuddly, sick boy:


Also thankfully, Michael was out of commission when the cats brought a mouse into the house and lost it!  I finally caught it in a jar and let Michael see it before loosing it outside (far from our front door).  He decided to adopt it as a pet and wanted to feed it:



It wasn't terribly impressed with our offering of a froot loop:


And then I took it outside when he fell asleep again.

Mommy and Daddy are actually the ones that are sick right now with colds, but you don't want pictures of us sick.  Trust me.

'Tis the season for Michael's class to take a field trip to a local assisted living home and "sing" for the Grandmas and Grandpas there:


Michael didn't do any actual singing, unfortunately, but he did wave to me and yell "Hi, Mommy!" in the middle of a song.  He also gave a handmade Christmas card to one of the Grandpas and wished him a Merry Christmas.  But he did it really fast and didn't want to stick around for a picture:


'Tis the season for indoor "picnics."  Michael loves the Costco food court and calls it a picnic when we eat there.  The last time we shopped there, we were in a big hurry to get our neighbor to school right after so we couldn't stop for food, so I told Michael we would come back for a "picnic" if he could help us move fast.  He did (as much as a 3 year old can) and so we returned to Costco later that day just for a hotdog picnic (I try to keep my promises to him even if I regret them):



We hope you all are enjoying the most wonderful time of the year too!

8 comments:

Edie said...

That is a really big mouse. Looks more like a rat to me. How did you catch it?

Cyndi Day said...

Definitely just a mouse, thank goodness. I don't think a rat would have been so easy for me to get.
The cats finally flushed it out from under the washing machine and were teasing it so I swooped in (stumbling over the cats) with the jar and lid and scooped it up. The poor thing didn't have any fight left in it so it wasn't hard. I'm pretty sure there was internal damage because it died where I released it outside. :( Makes me wish I'd kept it in the warm house since it was going to die anyway.

Brandon and Rachel said...

What a fun post, looks like you guys have been busy... unfortunately we have also had our share of bugs this season! We missed you guys last night, I hope you feel better soon!

Jen Duke said...

So cute! I love that tissue paper and cup idea.

Kaylee Steiner said...

Fun picnic! And I love your idea for an advent calendar. Someday when I'm not lazy I will do something like that. :) So thanks for the idea! I love that he was shoveling too. CUTE!

Anne said...

Maybe what your cats brought in was a vole. Our cats have caught them before and left them for us on our porch. They are similar to mice but bigger. I love the advent calendar! I wish I had been that creative when my kids were little. Hope you and Jeff get better in time for Christmas.

Ray said...

I enjoyed your blog, especially the pictures of Michael. He is a DARLING! It is good to see that he is learning to shovel snow. Please allow me to have access to your blog so I don't have to pirate it off of Heather's blog. Love you much, Grandma

Karen said...

I can't believe you caught the mouse. And then put it in a jar for your son to carry around. But, some people like rodents. Others, super don't.

Michael IS adorable. I want to squeeze him.