Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kidney Stone

Apparently tooth problems weren't enough, so I went ahead and got a kidney stone. It felt like I'd been kicked in the crotch on Tuesday night, and Wednesday morning it felt like someone had kicked me a few more times. Then I went to the instacare in north Orem and the pain really started.

The doctor gave me a shot of an anti-inflammatory medication, and when the pain kept up he gave me a shot of morphine as well. When the pain still didn't let up, Cyndi drove me to the ER and they gave me some stronger narcotics that took away the pain. On a happier note, I'll never get addicted to Morphine since I'm not a fan of the way it makes my whole body burn.

I was there from around 9am to 2 pm and slept through most of it. They gave me a cat scan and saw that it was 3mm and half an inch from passing, so they discharged me. Cyndi drove me home where I slept through the rest of the day, right up until 2am this morning, when the ridiculous pain in my side let me know that the stone hadn't passed. When 800 mg of ibuprofen and 2 percosets didn't knock out the pain, Cyndi (that awesome, awesome wife of mine without whom I couldn't have gone through this) drove me into the ER again. They let me stay there for an hour and a half and then discharged me again on the assumption that, since it was no longer hurting it had passed.

At 11am today, the pain told me (again) that it hadn't. For those of you watching at home, that's 37 hours from beginning to the last time I was sure it hadn't passed. This time the ibuprofen and percosets worked, though. It hurt for 15 minutes and then it stopped. I'm afraid it just stopped moving again and won't believe otherwise until that strainer has a stone in it.

Fun trivia: if it lasts for another 32 hours, I'll have to go through a plane ride with a kidney stone. Fun times!

5 comments:

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

Oh no! I'm sorry. I sure hope it passes soon!

Jen Duke said...

That sounds awful! Good luck with it passing soon.

Karen said...

Good luck. I had a kidney stone when I was pregnant with Zach. Now you get a "sense" of what childbirth is like. Although, mine didn't last that long.

Where are you flying to?

duagne said...

Chuck Norris once passed a kidney stone without so much as a wince or a whimper. Unable to properly dispose of the kidney stone themselves, Chuck's doctors had it launched into space. Currently it keeps the Earth's tides in check, you know this kidney stone as "the moon."

Cyndi Day said...

We're flying to CO for my mom's birthday. I'm really glad Jeff made a post about this. While I was hanging out in the ER with him, all I could think was "This would make an awesome blog entry!"