Friday, March 6, 2009

Mus musculus

There was a mouse in my house.

Technically, it was mouse number three. The first two had made a home in our shed out back, but Taffy and Sadie found them and killed them. Then they left them on our stairs as gifts. Such sweet cats.

The third mouse was first discovered by Taffy. I saw her playing with something underneath the kitchen table but I thought it was only a dead leaf stuck under the table leg. A minute later, the small brown "leaf" sprinted away from the table with Taffy hot on its heels. It escaped behind some boxes (which belong to a friend! I've unpacked all of mine!) next to our couch. Both Sadie and Taffy prowled around the couch for the rest of the night.

When I got home from work the next day, both cats were crouched in front of my oven. I tried to move the oven to scare the mouse out from under it, but no luck. I got bored way before the cats did and left them to their stalking so I could cook dinner. Hearing a noise in the oven drawer, I opened it for Sadie and she lept into the drawer to triumphantly remove the mouse from under a grill.

Holding her prize high in her mouth, Sadie trotted to the living room to play with it. I suppose she got overconfident and released it too close to the couch. Needless to say, the mouse escaped. Once again, the cats lurked around the couch the entire night.

Today, they were (finally) victorious and caught the pest. They left it on my kitchen floor instead of my stairs. My carpet thanks them. While I do not approve of the gift giving method, I am very proud of my hunters and I gave them both treats for their hard work.

My mousers:

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Way to go, mousers! I couldn't believe we had mouse problems in Lehi with the 6 cats living upstairs. That's ok though, we gave the mouse a name and then became friends with it. Kenny eventually caught him and took him to a nice big open field full of other mice. That's what he told me, at least. I couldn't handle thinking about the more likely fate the poor mouse met.

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

What good cats! If it weren't for the cats you may not have even known you had a friend. Yuck!

Edie Veronin said...

how do the mice get into your house?

Cyndi Day said...

I'm not really sure. They might get in the kitty door, but I consider that unlikely. I've seen the cats bring in bugs to play with, so I'm guessing they caught the mice outside and brought them in.

Jessica said...

Isn't it funny how our love of rats doesn't extend to stinky pee-pee mice? I mean, I don't want them to die in horrible ways, but I don't particularly care for them.

mary said...

:(

i gave my chinchillas an extra raisin after reading this post