Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Truth About The Elderly

Working at an eye doctor's, I see a lot of older people every day and I've experienced a side of the adorable elderly that most people haven't seen: the klepto side.

At the front desk, we have cans of pens for patients to use while filling out their paperwork. We've tried to make it obvious that the pens belong to the office by wrapping colored duct tape around the top of the pen, making it impossible to pull the cap off. Sometimes people will accidentally put one of our pens into their purse when their finished. It's understandable. I've accidentally stolen pens before. But sweet, little, old ladies will see the pens and their colorful duct tape, and intentionally slide them into their bags.

I once had an elderly woman come in to pay a bill. She gave me cash. When I turned around to pick up her receipt from the printer, I noticed her pull a pen out of the can and admire the purple duct tape on it. When I handed her the receipt, she thanked me and left -still holding the pen. She didn't even try to hide it.

I had another woman notice the taped pens, take one, and start writing with it. Disappointed that the ink color didn't match the tape color, she put it back muttering, "I don't need another black one".

Earlier this week, I also found out that someone had stolen our soap dispenser from the bathroom. Someone loved the smell of our soap so much, that they took it. I suspect a woman, probably elderly. 1. They have purses to hide it in 2. The soap was a very feminine scent 3. Old ladies are our biggest thieves. My coworker replaced the soap with a much bigger dispenser in the hopes it will keep anyone from sliding it into their bag.

My job is so very entertaining!

5 comments:

Edie Veronin said...

you should tape the pens to flowers and have a bouquet of them in a jar--if the flower is big, like a carnation, they are less likely to take it

Cyndi Day said...

They've actually tried that before and it didn't work. This way, at least, it's less expensive to lose the pens.

Anne said...

My doctor's office tape big tongue depressors to their pens. That probably would help either though.

Karen said...

I'm just going to tell Grandma and Grandpa what you think about their "kind"...

Jenn said...

Hey, they lived through the depression by stealing soap and pens. Give them some respect.:)
BTW, I'm blog-stalking you now. This is Jenni Kunz, I found you from Ben's blog.