Monday, May 3, 2010

jaundice and more pics

As some of you may have noticed, I'm posting this late at night. Right now it's my shift, I'm taking the baby and making sure that he only wakes his mother up when absolutely necessary. Cyndi's so exhausted she can hardly function, so here I am making sure that she only has to be awake long enough to feed the boy. This is approximately what he looks like right now.



His Grandma Veronin wrapped him up nice and tight, and he's been asleep for two and a half hours now. She's very good at this.

As some of you are aware, Mike's got a touch of the jaundice. I wish I could remember the numbers, but they put him on the borderline between high risk and medium risk. The last day we were in the hospital the nurses put him in a UV bed and we got these adorable pictures.





I wish that I had gotten one with the whole bed in the picture, but I didn't so y'all will have to deal. The second picture shows his preferred position when sucking on a pacifier. It works well to hold it in when he doesn't forget what he's doing and jerk it right out of his mouth.

These come from earlier today after I changed the boy and he fell asleep on the changing table. No worries on his bowels working correctly -- even though he's only 4 days old, he's pooing at a 8 day level. We're so proud. When we let him, he seems to prefer to sleep on his side with his hands in this general position. A lot of the time he'll have his hand under his head, which is very close to my preferred sleeping position.





Sorry about the upside-down perspective, but it was the best angle to show both of his hands.

Finally a picture showing how much Mike absolutely adores his mother (you'll notice the yellow skin -- that's the jaundice). One of the hardships with nursing him is that he'll be absolutely starving, but when Cyndi's holding him he prefers to cuddle with her. If Cyndi's in the room he'll usually spot her and be cute at her. It's enough to make a lesser man jealous.



You'll also notice that he's got a rockin' tan. There was a baby from Southern California that was asking him what his secret was, but he'll never tell.

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Jaundice can be rough, Daniel had it too. He's such a darling little boy! I hope the jaundice gets better soon so you don't have to worry about the tanning bed.

donna said...

That baby looks awfully familiar, especially in that first swaddled picture. He is very beautiful, not unlike my own boys. :) Way to work the night shift, Dad!

Anne said...

New babies and no sleep are dreadfully stressful on new mommies. Then, add a jaundice baby; well, I remember. Rebecca came home from the hospital jaundice and we were delivered a bili light to where we were living at the time, my mom's house. It was awful because it was winter cold and she had to lay there in just her diaper, not wrapped up at all. Both Becca and I cried alot! Then, we had a bili blanket brought in to try instead and that was so much better. I could hold Becca and she was snuggley warm.

Mike looks so sweet sleeping in these pictures. I agree with Donna that he is a very beautiful baby!

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

Oh, you make me laugh Jeff! He is so cute!!!! He has such a cute little face and I love how he holds his pacifier and his sleeping position. Thanks for sharing the great pictures so I can see just how cute he is! I can't wait to hold him!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!!!! Oh man..so i'm not coming home this weekend to see him, but I will be there in two weeks. YAY! I've been bragging to everyone about him. :) That's so cute how he sleeps!! And that he loves Cyndi so much!
P.S. Jeff..you are hilarious..and a great husband! Just sayin..

Liz said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Many good comments in this. Did Michael get our birthday card to him yet?

Jessica said...

He has Cyndi's mouth, right? How cute! Now if only you can get a picture of him flipping everyone off...

Anne said...

I LOVE that picture of baby Cyndi giving the finger!

barb v said...

He looks sooo sweet, would love to hold and rock him. Lucky you guys, I would do without sleep to do this all over again, these days are very precious, you will cherish them forever. Your pictures are so good. Love to all

Karen said...

I'm with donna - the wrapped baby pic he looks very familiar. He's so adorable. I'm home, and will be coming to see, soon.

Abby had to be under the lights at our home (it was like a suitcase). And we had to go to the hospital with Nate and Luke multiple times to be tested after we were discharged. Pain.

And all of my kids love to be "burritoed" in a blanket. I think it's great! Hang in there with the feedings and wakings. Parenthood is super easy, right?!